Are you with your dog 24/7 these days? I am! We’re certainly enjoying our extra time together. However, I am aware of the need to help my canine friends remain content while alone so it’s not a shock when we eventually get back to normal. What about a new puppy or newly adopted dog who has never learned to be alone? If my clients’ questions are any gauge of the larger dog-guardian population, many people have similar concerns.
And how about dogs already suffering from separation anxiety? If you’re currently home 24/7, now might a great time to get started on separation anxiety training — as long as you have the bandwidth to do so. (And it’s okay if you don’t. Be kind to yourself.) Get in touch with a force-free trainer who specializes in separation anxiety for guidance — see resources below.
Some of my wonderful colleagues who specialize in separation anxiety have been providing excellent information and resources to help with all of the above. I’ll update this list periodically, so feel free to check back.
Videos & Webinars
- Separation Anxiety during COVID 19 Video by Allison Lamminen of Delighted Dogs, Jane Wolff of Good Wolff and Malena DeMartini-Price of Treating Separation Anxiety In Dogs. (Includes information for helping any dog or puppy transition from together 24/7.) “If you’ve been wondering about the potential for your dog to develop separation anxiety during this pandemic we are all facing, take some time to watch this video…The video is about 30 minutes in duration and has some great things you can do now to be proactive about this with your own dog.”
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs during COVID-19 by Malena Demartini-Price. “With the majority of us being home every day, concerns are rising about separation anxiety issues once our lives return to normal. In this brief informational webinar, separation anxiety expert Malena DeMartini talks about how to optimize dogs for alone-time success after we all return to work.”
- Preparing for Life After COVID-19 – looking ahead to separation anxiety issues presented by Tracy Krulik and Your Dog’s Friend
Saturday, April 11, 1:30 – 3:30pm
- HRA Webinar: COVID-19: The Time is Now to Teach Your Dog to Live Well When Alone presented by Tracy Krulik and Humane Rescue Alliance
Saturday, April 18, 1pm
- Tracy Krulik’s webinars are listed on her website here.
Websites, Blogs, Facebook Groups & Online Courses
- Julie Naismith’s SubThreshold Training: Specialist in separation anxiety
- Julie Naismith’s SubThreshold Training Facebook Page: Specialist in separation anxiety, weekly live videos. Julie is currently running a daily challenge called the Home Not Alone Challenge on her page. Julie also has a Facebook support group for guardians of dogs with separation anxiety.
- Malena DeMartini Treating Separation Anxiety in Dogs: Specialists in separation anxiety
- Treating Separation Anxiety in Dogs Facebook Page: Specialists in separation anxiety
- Mission Possible: Online separation anxiety course for dog guardians
- COVID-19’s Impacts on the Human-Dog Relationship from the Companion Animal Psychology Blog
Supporter of local businesses? Check with your local bookstore to see if they can order and deliver books to you.